Two die after chase in Brighton, police say

Staff reports
Posted 10/26/21


This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Don't have an ID?

Print subscribers

If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.


Click here to see your options for becoming a subscriber.

If you made a voluntary contribution in 2021-2022, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one at no additional charge. VIP Digital Access includes access to all websites and online content.

Our print publications are advertiser supported. For those wishing to access our content online, we have implemented a small charge so we may continue to provide our valued readers and community with unique, high quality local content. Thank you for supporting your local newspaper.

Two die after chase in Brighton, police say


Two people died after a short police chase in Brighton Tuesday, city police said. No names have been released.

The incident began shortly before 11:30 a.m. near Gaviota and Goldfinch streets. Police went there on a report of a suspicious vehicle. 

According to a police statement, the first of two officers on the call arrived and learned the vehicle had been stolen. When the second officer arrived, a suspect rammed the officer's vehicle, police said. The other officer tried to do a traffic stop, but the car sped away from the scene, police said.

At Bridge and Mount Bierstadt streets, the stolen car ran a stop sign and struck another car.  A female passenger in the victim's car was thrown clear, according to the police statement.  The female was transported to the hospital with critical injuries.

The stolen car continued on Mount Bierstadt Street, and the driver lost control of the car and struck a male pedestrian, police said.  This male was also transported to the hospital in critical condition.

Both victims died at an area hospital, police said. The Adams County Coroner's Office will identify the victims.

The press statement said the chase lasted two mnutes. 

Police said they arrested 25-year-old Nicholas Vilarina. He remained at an area hospital for treatment of his injuries. Police said a second passenger, a woman, was also getting treatment for her injuries at a hospital. 

“Today has been a very difficult day for our community. Loss of life is never easy, in this case, the loss of people who were going about their everyday lives,” said Brighton Police Chief Paul Southard in the statement.  “Our hearts are heavy for the families and friends of both individuals whose lives were tragically cut short, as well as the other victims of the crash.” 

The 17th Judicial District Critical Incident Investigation Team and the North Metro Accident Investigation Team will be investigating the circumstances surrounding the pursuit and subsequent crash, police said. As per standard protocol, the officer or officers who were involved in the incident will be on paid administrative leave, police said.  

Brighton Police Department, police chase, fatalities, pedestrians


Our Papers

Ad blocker detected

We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.

The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.